Friday, March 10, 2017

Eye on Kickstarter #16

Welcome to my Eye on Kickstarter series!  This series will highlight Kickstarter campaigns I am following that have recently launched (or I've recently discovered) because they have caught my interest.  Usually they'll catch my interest because they look like great games that I have either backed or would like to back (unfortunately budget doesn't allow me to back everything I'd like to).  But occasionally the campaigns caught my attention for other reasons.  Twice a month, on the 2nd and 4th Fridays, I'll make a new post in this series, highlighting the campaigns that have caught my attention since the last post.  In each post I'll highlight one campaign that has really grabbed my attention, followed by other campaigns I've backed or am interested in.  I'll also include links to any reviews I've done.  Comments are welcome, as are suggestions for new campaigns to check out!

You can also see my full Kickstarter Profile to see what I've backed or my old Eye on Kickstarter page that was too unwieldy to maintain.  Also, check out the 2017 Kickstarter Boardgame Projects geeklist over on Board Game Geek for a list of all the tabletop games of the year.

So, without further ado, here are the projects I'm currently watching as of the second Friday of March, 2017:


HIGHLIGHTED CAMPAIGNS
No Pun Included
Toucan Play that Game
  • GJJ Games Backed
  • For this update I have TWO featured campaigns and they're not for games. Instead they're for content creators, like me (well, not quite like me - they do videos). Elaine and Efka at No Pun Included make some of the funniest, most thorough game reviews you'll find. And Michael from Toucan Play that Game does an excellent job of explaining and critiquing games, especially how they work for two players. These are some of my favorite video reviewers. If they've reviewed a game they're among the first ones I watch (or read). Like me, they create content for the community out of their love and passion for the hobby. So please head over to their Kickstarters and give them a bit of support. Help them keep doing what they love and show your appreciation. And if you haven't checked out any of their videos, be sure to watch a whole bunch, right now!


For three years Elaine and Efka made funny and informative board game reviews for No Pun Included and they very much need your help to continue. Fan funding would allow them to keep going for another year and consistently put out weekly videos and other great content they hope to unlock with stretchgoals. Each review they make takes a lot of time and dedication. Instead of teaching you the rules, they focus on in-depth analysis coupled with whimsical non-sense - the best of both worlds. If you want to see more of what they do, please check out their YouTube channel.

Toucan Play that Game needs your help to continue bringing you great videos about the best hobby there is, board games! Michael's YouTube channel is dedicated to providing high quality videos about tabletop games. With the little twist of talking about if the games work for 2 players, or can be made to work for 2. He also produces the collaborative shows Review Wars and Meeple Box to help other content creators reach more people and to help people reach them.





Wizard's WARdrobe
  • People Behind the Meeples Interview
  • This looks like an interesting game with a cool mechanic that allows eliminated players to still interact and possibly return to the game. I'm not sure about the artwork though, it seems a bit disconnected.


Beeeees!
  • Here's a quick, fast, speedy, busy, rapid dice game by a Protospiel veteran designer. If you like frantic dice games, check this one out!


Empires of the Void II
  • Two Ryan Laukat games made the top 3 in my Best New To Me Games of 2016 list and I'm already betting that Near and Far will make that list for 2017. And here we are with an awesome space themed game from Red Raven!


Cosmic Run: Rapid Fire
  • It seems like roll and write games are the newest trend, and Cosmic Run: Rapid Fire looks like a really fun entry into this genre. Plus, Dr. Finn really designs some great filler games.


Jackal Archipelago
  • Apparently this is a pretty big hit in Russia, but it originally caught my attention because the voice talent kept pronouncing 'archipelago' wrong in the introduction video! 'Archi-pell-lago' instead of 'arki-pelli-go'. They've since fixed the video, and the game is doing awesome. Check it out now because it has less than two days left!


Destination Neptune 2E
  • I briefly met the designer of this game at the 2014 Chicago Toy and Game Fair. The game looks interesting and has a lot of improvements over the first edition.


Unlocked: The Mansion of Mana
  • This looks to have some interesting mechanics and uses of the cards. Plus the key art is pretty cool looking.


HEXplore It: The Valley of the Dead King
  • I'm not sure about the title, unless the plan is for there to be a series of HEXplore it games, but I like the way this merges RPG type mechanics with board game simplicity. This is one to watch if you like the idea of RPGs without all the time investment.

No comments:

Post a Comment