Friday, August 11, 2017

PWNs: A Game of Strategic Mayhem - Unboxing

PWNs: A Game of Strategic Mayhem
Designer: Ryan Boyle
Publisher: AWRY Corp, LLC
2-4p | 20-45m | 10+
PWNs: A Game of Strategic Mayhem - Unboxing
Support me on Patron!

Back in April of 2016 I reviewed PWNs: A Game of Strategic Mayhem and loved the game.  It took two Kickstarters before it was successfully funded, but I'm super happy the game finally got made since it made it into my Top 10 Kickstarter Previews list for last year.  Well, it took a while, but PWNs was finally delivered to backers this summer and I received my reviewer copy just yesterday.  The game has changed a bit since I reviewed it, but all changes for the better.  I can't wait to play it again with my family and friends, but in the meantime, here's a bunch of unboxing photos!

A few highlights (pros and cons):

  • The artwork is still the cartoony, whimsical characters.  Some people didn't care for it, but I loved it.  It's also worth noting that on cards that are duplicates, they have unique artwork.  Usually it's just the background terrain and PWN colors that change, but sometimes there are more subtle differences, too.  That's great attention to detail.
  • There are a ton of tokens that are used for tracking the various states of PWNs.  This was one of my criticisms of the prototype game, so I'm glad to see that they brought in the tokens.
  • As mentioned in the review, the tiles are now thicker and the game board is gone, replaced by a frame to hold everything in place.  All the tiles are a bit smaller, too.  This is fine, and won't take up as much table space.  However, the frame that holds the main tiles is very tight, almost too tight.  I was able to get the frame to snap together, but with a bit of pressure on the large tiles it's holding together.  I think it'll play fine though once assembled.
  • Although the tiles, tokens, and standees are thicker than the cardstock ones in the prototype, they're still on the thinner side.  It would have been nice to hit a few stretch goals to really up the component quality, but as it is, it's sufficient.  It's definitely not flimsy, and the cards are very nice quality (although no extras like linen finish).
  • The box is a lot smaller than the prototype box, but that's a good thing.  This will be a great size for bringing to game nights.
  • I also noticed in the rules that my idea of ending the game after the first team is eliminated (instead of going until only one team remains) has been incorporated into the official rules.  In the prototype rules a four player game would go until three players' teams were eliminated, meaning two players could be out for quite a while.  With the new rules no one is ever left unable to play and as soon as one player's team is eliminated everyone else scores points: 3pts for each surviving PWN and 1pt for each remaining HP.
  • Not critical to the game play, but something I personally like... The cards are shrink wrapped with an easy-pull tab.  This makes getting cards out of the packaging without nicking an edge so much easier! =) 
If you're interested in getting a copy of PWNs: A Game of Strategic Mayhem, stop by the AWRY Corp, LLC website at http://awrycorp.com/

Pictures:
Well, without further ado, here are pictures of the production copy of PWNs, but AWRY Corp, LLC!































Did you like this unboxing?  Show your support: Support me on Patreon! Also, click the heart at Board Game Links , like GJJ Games on Facebook , or follow on Twitter .  And be sure to check out my games on  Tabletop Generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment